Add Living Space With A Finished Basement
A finished basement will add a significant amount of living space to your home and is a great way to add value to your home. Think about the way you live and family composition to determine the best approach for your finished basement. For families with children or teens a game room may be the right approach – in other cases it might best function as a private area such as a den or home office that is separated from the rest of the house.
Unlike other home improvement projects basements are generally more straightforward – nothing is hidden and we can quickly see what we are dealing with. ALL Building can help you determine the right layout for you basement – separating mechanicals into their own space, creating adequate storage, and then leaving an open floor plan for the rest. A popular option is adding a bath in the basement – with a little planning and depending on your home’s plumbing this can be an affordable add-on. The great thing about basement remodels is that they are only limited by your imagination. We can give you a fun game room or a living area with built-ins, a wet bar, paneling, lighting, and finishes that rival anything you have upstairs.
Tips for a successful basement remodel
A finished basement can serve many functions from game room to party room to home office. No matter which, there are a few things to consider:
- Mitigate potential water or moisture problems including exterior drainage to keep water away from your basement
- A dehumidifier is a must-do in any finished basement
- Keep an open floor plan – too many walls will quickly create a closed-in feeling.
- Lighting is critical – the right lighting makes or breaks a finished basement – it is best to have multiple light sources
- Make sure to leave room for storage – you can never have too much